Friday, November 14, 2008

Close Shaves & Happy Endings

For me, visiting NYC is like time travel. I'm not sure if I'm in the past or the future, it depends on the moment. When I was in our rental apartment I felt like I was in an alternate universe, but that's another story.


After a long week of walking, navigating the subway, playing sidewalk chicken and eating, all I wanted to do was take a nap. I also needed a shave, so I decided to combine the two. Earlier in the week I had passed two barber shops in the span of a few blocks and I made a mental note to return.

After the Museum of Natural History I was beat, so I headed back to Nolita, to the New York Shaving Company on Elizabeth St. If you hate shaving, but love hot towels... this is heaven. The whole process takes about a half-hour, which is just long enough to get fully relaxed. It involves liberal amounts of lathering, hot toweling, face massaging, face slapping, spritzing and finally paying.

I can't think of a better way to end a trip.

No comments: