Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Dinner – Duck with Orange Chipotle Sauce



My goal each holiday season is to avoid eating turkey. I know I'm in the minority on this issue, and I've suggested alternate meal options on many occasions. Each time I suggest an alternative, I'm met with a similar response – no! Perhaps I should suggest the infamous deep fried turkey.

Last night (Christmas Eve) was turkey night... but tonight it's duck! I picked up two beautiful Muskovy duck breasts at Whitehouse in the Market to make Broiled Duck Breasts with Orange Chipotle Sauce. It's not a complicated recipe – most of the work goes into the sauce. Broiling it in a roasting pan with some water in the lower pan kept it from smoking too much, and it made the fat on top nicely caramelized and crispy. To serve, it was sliced thin, and topped with the sweet & spicy orange chipotle sauce. We had it with a side of roasted butternut squash.

What would you rather have, turkey or duck?

No comments: