Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Leftovers for lunch: not just because it's a recession


Who hasn't heard of all the penny-pinching recession tips floating around out there about how much money you can save by bringing your lunch to work or not buying coffees and bringing your own in a thermos so you can also save the environment? But I bring my lunch to work because a homemade lunch tastes better than what I can get down the street. I'm a girl who loves leftovers. In fact, I won't just eat my own leftovers, I'll eat someone else's too, which is just what I did for this lunch. I know this pic looks a bit messy and yucky, but this was one of the best homemade sandwiches I've eaten in, like, forever. Leftover eggplant parmigiana lovingly made by an unnamed Mamma, in a spelt walnut loaf with the insides taken out to create a little 'bed' for the saucy filling. The sauce gets soaked up by the crusty bread overnight and the next day… the best lunch ever!! How can I even put a dollar amount on such hearty, filling deliciousness? I highly recommend scrounging around for leftovers to bring for lunch in other people's fridges. How's that for a recession tip?

No comments: