Saturday, July 4, 2009

I heart Chuck Hughes


My colleague Natalya turned me onto Chuck Hughes (from the show Chuck's Day Off) this past week. How could I have not noticed this hottie before on the Food channel, which I watch religiously?? And even better, he's Canadian, from Montreal, where he's the chef and owner of Garde-Manger.

This week, I made a warm potato salad I saw him make on TV. Delectable. I'm not so crazy about cold, mayonaisse-y potato salads so I knew this was the one for me. I didn't have any white wine vinegar so I subbed in apple cider vinegar (tasted great) , and used the green beans from my CSA box. Thank goodness I have leftovers in the fridge because I'm starving right now!

Chuck Hughes' Warm Potato Salad

Courtesy of: Chuck's Day Off
Episode: The Bro Show

Ingredients

Warm Potato Salad:

  • 1 1/2 lb. fingerling potatoes
  • 4 eggs, hardboiled and halved
  • 2 tinned anchovies, minced
  • 1 1/2 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • Handful of baby green beans
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Pinch of coarse salt and grinding of crack black pepper

Directions:

Warm Potato Salad:

  1. Wash and place fingerling potatoes into a pot of water. Bring to a boil, add salt and simmer till just fork tender. You can use the same pot for boiling eggs. Just watch the time.
  2. While potatoes are cooking, make dressing in your serving bowl or if you have a mortar and pestle, use that. Begin with mashing the anchovy into the mustard and garlic. Add vinegar and slowly whisk in the oil. If too thick, water down a bit with water.
  3. Blanch beans, drain and chill down with cold water bath. Drain on a towel.
  4. Peel eggs. And cut in half.
  5. Drain potatoes and while still warm, drop into bowl with dressing.
  6. Add beans and eggs.
  7. Fold all gently together and serve warm in shallow white plate/bowls

No comments: