Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Fava Beans with Ricotta Salata

These may not look very big, but imagine a bean the size of your thumb. When it comes to fava beans, the bigger the better. You have to shell them twice, first to get them out of bed, and then again once they've been blanched. Early in the season, when they're small, it's a lot of work to make a salad... but it's always worth it.


I used some of my emergency bacon, toasted walnuts and then tossed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt. It's sitting on shaved Ricotta Salata.


2 comments:

Lois Kim said...

Dang that looks *good*! I need to pick some up tomorrow. Bacon too.

Cupcake said...

I'm sorry all I can think about when I see the words "fava beans" is the "Silence of the Lambs" ..."fava beans and a nice Chianti..." Ew. Creepy.