Sunday, March 23, 2008

Almond Joy


Its 11pm and the only snack I have in the house are some stale almonds from Sobeys that I've been munching on for days while cursing Sobeys for selling me stale almonds. I can almost understand how in the olden days people would make the trip back to grocery store to return their food. Instead, I was inspired by wanting-a-snack-at-11PM-and-having-nothing in-the-house-but-stale-almonds-creative and remembered my recent time in Spain and how good the almonds were, and searched how to do it in one of my Tapas books. I didn't even think about cooking the almonds, but you can and they're good and perfect for an 11pm snack. Next time I will just stock up on blanched almonds instead of doing the 'blanching' myself, but I suggest doing the whole thing yourself for the first time, its pretty satisfying and in comparison to cracking sunlower seeds, its way more satisfying for what you get. Spanish salted almonds -- take almonds and boil them for 4 minutes, drop in cold water for 1 min. Then take each one between your fingers and pinch the skin off, those little fuckers slide right out. Drop on a baking sheet and coat with olive oil and bake on 350 for 20 minutes. After, cover with paprika and sea salt for a tasty snack. The next time you do it, just get blanched almonds and throw them right into the oven instead of boiling. They're good with the late night Stiegel.

1 comment:

Lois Kim said...

Hi Manchego! What a great idea for the stale almonds… and so much better than late night Lay's potato chips or Humpty Dumpty sour cream and onion rings, which I was tempted to buy this weekend. But *didn't*!